Sunday, December 2, 2012

VII. Wreath Results

Ta-Da! It's been a while, but I finally finished a challenge!  So I was browsing through Michael's last Monday  because I need to pick up stickers for work and I got stopped by the 50% OFF all Christmas decor.  My favorite holiday decor are wreaths, so I just needed to find the correct supplies in order to make it!  I looked through the floral and foam section for a foam circle to use as the base for my wreath, but they were all sold out because they were also on sale so I knew I was going to have to improvise.

I picked up some fantastic, glittery midnight blue plastic leaves that were $0.49 a piece!  For that price I was able to purchase a handful of different leave shapes.
Other supplies that I used were scissors, wire cutter, floral tape and a glue gun.  I thought that I would be able to wrap it only with floral tape and then cover that with ribbon, but I ran into problems keeping it circular in shape because it wasn't strong enough.  Therefore, I resorted to the glue gun.  I also struggled with that, I think the glue is rather old.  I started by laying the pieces for layer one face down and glued the end of the stem to the top leave of the next.  Although I bought a variety, I ended up using only the fern like stems and the broad leaf stems.
After the first layer was put together and glued securely, I layered on the fern pieces to give it some body and structure.
The minute I held up the wreath, the glue started to give way and my circle became more oblong.  I reinforced about half of it with a wire hanger to help hold it's shape.  I hot glued it to the back of the wreath and taped it in few places with the floral tape.  I used left over stems and snipped the leaves so I could hot glue them around the wreath to cover the not so good looking parts.
I used a similar colored ribbon to hang the wreath from and perched it on our door.  As you can see there are few parts that could use a little more body and it's shame isn't 100% circular, but I think it looks great!  It's simple, festive and unique!

Happy Holidays to All!

No comments:

Post a Comment