Sunday, October 28, 2012

II. Apple Challenge Results

I know what you are thinking, yes, I did wait until the last days to complete this challenge.  We have been so busy that we haven't even had a chance to enjoy fall this year, much less apple picking at the orchard!  Ironically, apples aren't my favorite fruit and when I think of them, I see that infamous scene of temptation from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (I might also have witches on my brain because of Halloween...).
 For whatever unknown reason, I am obsessed with Mexican food right now!  Tacos, nachos, rice and beans, etc... and  I didn't want to make a dessert, because lets be real, I  could have created thousands of apple desserts, but I wanted to go spicy, so let me introduce you to:
Spicy Apple Nachos!

Ingredients (everything is a guesstimate, because I don't measure when I cook):
  • 1 Jonagold apple
  • 1 Fuji apple
  • 1 1/2  Granny Smith apple
  • 1 sweet potato
  • 1 can of black beans
  • Ground turkey
  • 1 red onion
  • 1 white onion
  • 1 roma tomato
  • Brick of apple smoked cheddar cheese
  • 4 corn tortillas
  • 4 flour tortillas
  • 1 jalapeño pepper
  • Splash of cranberry juice
Steps:
  1. Wash and peel the sweet potato.  Dice and place in pot of water and bring to a boil.  Cook until soft or easily pierced with a fork.
  2. While the potato is boiling, preheat the oven to 450˚ quarter 4 corn tortillas and 4 flour tortillas. We had to use two kinds because I'm trying to avoid wheat and Jamin can't eat corn tortillas because, "they don't taste right."  I spritzed with water and sprinkled cinnamon between each layer of tortilla.  Place on baking sheet with an oven safe plate on top (it stops the tortillas from curling) and bake for 8-10 minutes or until chips are crispy.
  3. Slice 1 jonagold, 1 granny smith and 1 fuji apple in half.  Remove core and seeds.  Place on baking sheet, we actually don't have a baking sheet so I placed them in a muffin tin which actually worked better.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and bake in 450˚ oven with the tortilla chips.
  4. Slice the jalapeño pepper, onion and tomato.  Grate cheese, drain and rinse the beans and set all aside.
  5. Brown turkey and season to taste.  I had to enlist a helper.  I have the worst time with cooking meat, I simply do not know how to tell when it's done... it's weird, I know.
  6. If chips are crispy, take them out of the oven and set aside as well.  If the potatoes are soft, drain and set aside.  If the apples are baked and mushy take them out of the oven!
  7. Combine apples (I used one half of each baked apple), half a can of beans, sliced jalapeño and roughly 6 chunks of sweet potato in a food processor.  Blend until all ingredients are mixed.  Because I used black beans, it is an unattractive color, but sample it, it tastes amazing!
  8. Layer the chips onto a platter.  Spoon healthy heaps of your spicy apple dip, sprinkle onions, tomatoes, pork and some black beans on your chip spread.  Finally, top with cheese, the more the better ;).
  9. Place into a warmed oven to melt.  While in the oven, thinly slice a granny smith apple for garnishment.
  10. Remove from oven, top with apple slices, pour a glass of wine, serve and ENJOY!

 It was extremely tasty!  Adding the whole jalapeño pepper gave it the right spicy kick and the apples were sweet enough to balance that heat.

Try it... I dare you!


Here are more cooking pictures, for those of you who are visual.


1 comment:

  1. What a tempting recipe Carol, you are so creative. Nachos are one of my favorite foods, so I'm always looking for unique variations on them. I am definitely making these for Chris and I this week! Thank you.

    P.S. Love (this) your and Kayc's blog; you really have a fantastic concept here.

    -Holly

    ReplyDelete