Tuesday, October 16, 2012

I. Pumpkin Challenge Results: SUCCESS

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED: RESULT A SUCCESS

So when I think of pumpkins, I think of carving them. I think of seasoned pumpkin seeds fresh out of the oven, and pumpkin bread! But all in association with fall. And when I really think of fall, I  think of the crisp smell in the air, the leaves changing and falling to the ground and the aroma of cinnamon coming from my freshly warmed up cup of apple cider, with a little bit of pear liquor as I watch it from inside a warm house!!!

So as I sat in the grocery store looking at the pumpkins today, trying to figure out which one was going to be the victim that i would take home to my cutting board, to cut up into pieces, to cook, beat, puree, chunk, to destroy, I couldn't help but be inspired to also incorporate apples, pears and cinnamon as well. I just had a feeling the slightly sweet crispness of the fruits would be a perfect touch, and oddly I was right!



Now out of eagerness and excitement to try my challenge, I really didn't have much time to look up recipes as reference. However with the power of a smart phone, and typing into Google  "what goes good with pumpkins?" -- I shortly learned Coconut milk as a popular choice. The wheels started turning, with it only being 37 degrees out, and snow sprinkled on the ground the light bulb turned on -- "AH HA," I literlly said out loud-- I'll try a soup!!!

So I gathered ingredients like a squirrel gathering nuts for hibernation -- 2 apples, 1 pears, 4 jalapenos  2 habaneros,  1 sweet onion, 1 orange pepper, cinnamon, coconut milk, chicken broth, white beans, cilantro, brown sugar and my challenge ingredient A PUMPKIN!! Although I didn't know what I was doing, or how it was going to turn out, I felt like I was a pro in the Kitchen and could have totally passed it off as a recipe that I had made millions of time! With that being said its a plus to know that this is for the most part an easy recipe to make!!!

The soup turned out phenomenal. A complete fall delight. It was sweet with a touch of spice. Although most snarl at the idea of fruit in soup, it was a pleasant surprise that paired extremely well with the pumpkin and coconut milk mixture! All three taste testing roommates approved!!! 



So here is my recipe, my measurements are estimated. I really did not measure anything except for the white beans.  I know this one will find a way into my personal cook books! Of course as a seasonal soup option, but still totally worth it!!!!!!! Of course not everyone likes spice the way we do, so I'd suggest leaving out the Habanero, however, I would not suggest losing the Jalepeno. The recipe strives as a Sweet and Spicy mixture.



FINAL PRODUCT!!!
Ingredients:
1/4 cup Red Sweet Onion
1/4 cup Orange Pepper
1 Jalepeno
1 Habanero
1 Small Pumpkin
1 Cup White Beans - Soaked
2 - 12oz cans Coconut Milk
2 - Cups Chicken Broth
1/4 - Cup Brown Sugar
1 - Small Apple diced up in chunks(I used Gala)
Halve of a Pear diced up in chunks
Cilantro (for topping)
Cinnamon
Salt and Pepper 







Directions:
1. Start with gutting the pumpkin, and slicing it into smaller chunks to warm up faster. Drizzle olive oil across the pieces on a pan and sprinkle with cinnamon. Place in oven set to 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, flipping at 10 minutes. This is just to soften up the pumpkin so you can easily peel it from the skin and puree it. Once soften enough, remove skin and puree it with 1/2 a can of coconut milk.

2. Dice up Bell Pepper, Onion, Jalepeno, Habanero, Apples and Pears.

3. Place apples and pears in small bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with cinnamon to sit. 

4. Warm up 2 cups of chicken broth, and 1.5 cans of coconut milk in soup pot. Add in Orange Bell Pepper, Red Sweet Onion, Jalepeno, Habanero, and white beans. Bring to a simmer. Add in Pumpkin Puree. Season with salt, pepper and (1 tablespoon) cinnamon, and return to a light simmer. Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes to cook white beans until soft. Stir in 1/4 brown sugar to give it a sweet extra kick.

5. Once beans are almost done, add in Apples and Pear Chunks to soften up a little bit. Because these don't take long to soften up, watch them so they don't get mushy. 

6. Serve with Cilantro and a dash of Cinnamon added for a last flavor boost.


THIS RECIPE MAKES ABOUT 6 CUPS OF SOUP! Serves 4 - 5 people!

No comments:

Post a Comment